Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Pumpkin Spinach Lasagna. Yum face.

So I have been losing weight since January this year (2012). It's been difficult, mostly in the food department. I am now nearly 40 pounds down (yay!) and counting.

The hardest thing about eating healthy is making man friendly food. Things hardworking men would want to eat after 15 hours harvesting crops or driving tractors or maintaining said tractor.

I have built up a store of secretly healthy food to feed them. Shhh don't tell! This is a constantly requested favorite!

Ingredients:
2 cups of pumpkin (butternut squash is ok) diced
2 onions diced
1/2 kilo or 1 lb lean beef
1 can tomato purée
1 can whole tomatoes
Mixed herbs- thyme, rosemary, basil(I used mostly fresh, some dried sprinkled on top)
Minced garlic
1 bag of spinach or bunch of silverbeet (frozen spinach is fine, just squeeze the water!)
1 1/2 cups shredded light cheese
Light ricotta cheese
Whole wheat instant lasagna sheets

Directions:
Combine beef, onions, pumpkin in pan and cook until onions are translucent, beef is cooked through, and pumpkin is getting soft. Add tomatoes, herbs, garlic, stir through. Add 1/2 spinach and allow to reduce into sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Assembly time! Start with 1/2 pumpkin and meat sauce layer. Top with pasta. Spread ricotta across pasta. Sprinkle ricotta with salt and pepper. Now pile on the last half of the spinach. Put the final pasta layer on top. Top with remaining 1/2 of pumpkin and meat sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and dried herbs.

Cook at 175 C for one hour.

It serves 8. The first time I made this recipe I calculated the calories to be around 350 per serve. I've changed and substituted things so that is a VERY rough guess.

I know pumpkin sounds weird, but the boys can't get enough! I'll have my one proper serve and then they will devour the rest between 2 or 3!

Would love your feedback. And any man friendly but secretly diet friendly recipes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment