Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fitness time! And a skinny recipe!

Heh roh!

Today I managed to get in a sneaky 30 minute run. Even though I did NOT want to. I just did it. I've decided to start C25K over. I want to run faster and really focus on my form.

According to my trainer (who I am missing dearly and haven't had a workout with her in over a month due to holidays!!) I have a sloppy running form. Friends and family, this is no new news. I run like a chicken with my head cut off, but add flailing arms. Not pretty.

So my goal is to really get my form down. I want to look at my shadow when in running and think- I LOOK LIKE A NIKE COMMERCIAL! I have no problem with running in public, I just know I could cause injury/harm to myself, others, cars, animals, the environment if I don't get a handdle on my chaos.

So because I am sure you want a healthy recipe to go with the New Year. Here are my DELICIOUS chili mussels. I'd never eaten them before coming to Australia, but now I can't live without them. It is such a fantastic treat meal for me... Without the guilt.

This serves 2-3 people

2kgs mussels washed/ debearded
2 tins of tomatoes (whole or diced)
2-7 chilies chopped
10 cloves of garlic minced
1 onion
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 handful fresh basil
1 handful fresh thyme

Dice your onion and sautée it in the chicken broth add garlic and chili. Obviously add as much chili as you think you can handle. I can take about 15 and then add some fresh chopped on top. Jono can take 1 so I settle for a happy medium of 7. He's sweatig and I am loading it with extra chili until I sweat. I love spicy food. Okay now add the tomatoes and fresh herbs. The sauce should look pretty thick. Add the mussels and stir around. Put the lid on and allow to steam for 5-7 minutes. Stir. Place lid back until all/most are opened. These little beauties of the deep would have released their juices (thats what he said) and there will be the most luxurious tomato sauce.

I plunk the entire pot on the table and we eat! Jono like to have fresh French bread to soak up the sauce, but I treat it as a soup and just use a spoon.

Yum! I think I will begin posting a recipe once a week. Because I am sure y'all are loving them!

Xxxx
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment